Norgeston is a progesterone only contraceptive pill. Choose Norgeston as an alternative to combined pills that contain oestrogen.
Prices from £10.00
In stock. Simply fill in a brief questionnaire. One of our doctors will review your order and prescribe a suitable treatment. How to Order
Norgeston is a contraceptive pill that contains levonorgestrel, which is a progestogen.
Norgeston is made by Bayer and is known as a progesterone only pill, POP, or mini pill.
You take Norgeston every day without a break. For Norgeston to protect you from pregnancy, you must take it within the same 3 hour window each day.
Order Norgeston today from Asda Online Doctor. Fill out a short questionnaire and one of our doctors will review your answers. After approval, choose our discreet delivery service at check out. Or you can collect your Norgeston at a nearby Asda Pharmacy.
3 x 35 tablet(s) - £10.00
6 x 35 tablet(s) - £14.00
How does Norgeston work?
Norgeston contains levonorgestrel, which is similar to the progesterone hormone your body naturally produces. Norgeston works to prevent pregnancy by:
- making your cervix mucus thicker, which stops sperm from entering the womb
- stopping the lining of your womb from thickening so an egg cannot grow in it
In some women Norgeston can prevent your ovaries from releasing an egg each month during ovulation.
Norgeston does not protect against sexually transmitted diseases (STIs) or HIV.
How to take Norgeston
When do I start taking Norgeston?
You can start taking Norgeston on the first day of your period, which is also the first day of your menstrual cycle. You will be protected straight away.
If you start Norgeston after the fifth day of your period you need to take Norgeston once a day for 2 days (48 hours) to be protected. Use condoms during these 2 days to prevent pregnancy.
You take one Norgeston pill at the same time each day without a break. If you are more than 3 hours late taking Norgeston, you will not be protected from pregnancy.
Each Norgeston blister strip contains 35 pills. The strip has the days of the week printed on it. Take Norgeston as follows:
- Start with your first pill on the correct day of the week
- Take 1 pill a day and follow the direction of the arrows on the blister strip
- When you finish one pack of 35 pills, you then start a new pack the next day
You can take Norgeston pills with or without food. Swallow each pill whole with water.
What do I do if I forget to take Norgeston?
If you forget to take Norgeston, here is what you can do:
- If you’re less than 3 hours late taking your pill, take it straight away. You should still be protected from pregnancy.
- If you are more than 3 hours late taking your pill, take it as soon as you remember. You should take your next pill at the usual time even if it means taking 2 pills in the same day. Your contraceptive protection will be reduced, so use condoms for the next 2 days (48 hours).
- If you have unprotected sex in the 48 hours after missing a pill you may need emergency contraception to avoid becoming pregnant. Speak to your doctor, pharmacist or family planning clinic for more advice.
What do I do if I take Norgeston twice?
Taking more than 1 Norgeston pill is unlikely to cause you any harm. You might feel sick or vomit. You could also have some vaginal bleeding.
Speak to your doctor or pharmacist for advice if you take too much Norgeston.
Can pregnant or breastfeeding women take Norgeston?
You should not take Norgeston if you are pregnant. You can do a pregnancy test if you think you might be pregnant. Stop taking Norgeston if the test is positive and get in touch with your doctor.
Norgeston can be used safely if you are breastfeeding and can be started any time after giving birth.
What should I watch out for if I want to stop taking Norgeston?
When you stop taking Norgeston you may have some withdrawal bleeding. If you don’t want to get pregnant, you should use another method of contraception such as condoms.
You can take Norgeston if:
- you are not pregnant
- you do not have severe liver disease, liver tumours or jaundice
- you do not have a history of breast cancer or other types of cancer affected by sex hormones
- you do not have unexplained vaginal bleeding
- you do not have a history of heart attacks or stroke
- you are not allergic to any of the ingredients listed in Norgeston
To check if Norgeston is suitable for you, read the patient information leaflet in your pack of pills and speak to your doctor.
Norgeston can cause side effects, but they improve or clear up within a few months.
Common side effects of Norgeston include:
- bleeding or spotting in between your periods
- having no periods
Less common side effects of Norgeston include:
- headaches or migraines
- mood changes
- losing interest in sex
- feeling dizzy
- feeling or being sick
- putting on weight or losing weight
Rare side effects of Norgeston include:
- facial swelling, also known as oedema
- pelvic pain
- blood clots
- allergic reactions including rash or wheezing
- breast cancer, signs of which include any changes to your breasts, such as lumps or changes in the nipples
You must speak to your doctor immediately if you have any side effects.
You can report any side effects using the MHRA Yellow Card Scheme in the Google Play or Apple App Store.
Does the risk of thrombosis increase?
Current evidence suggests there is no significant increased risk of blood clots when taking Norgeston.
Some medicines can interact with Norgeston pills and affect how it works. You can read more about interactions in your patient information leaflets that come with your medicines.
Before you take Norgeston, speak to your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking any of the following:
- epilepsy medication such as carbamazepine or phenytoin
- vitamins or supplements that contain St John’s wort, a herbal remedy that helps treat low mood
- medication for HIV, hepatitis C or any other antiviral medication such as ritonavir
- medication used to treat severe vomiting, such as aprepitant
- medication used to treat high blood pressure in the blood vessels of the lungs, such as bosentan
- medications used to treat heart diseases and high blood pressure, such as diltiazem and verapamil
- some antibiotics
- antifungal medication, such as griseofulvin
- sedatives including barbiturates, such as phenobarbital
The active ingredient in Norgeston is levonorgestrel (30 micrograms), a progestogen.
The other ingredients in Norgeston are lactose, maize starch, povidone, talc, magnesium stearate (E572), sucrose, macrogol 6000, calcium carbonate (E170), glycol montanate.
If you are sensitive to lactose or any other ingredients in Norgeston, please speak to your doctor for advice before you take any pills.
How should Norgeston be stored?
You should store Norgeston in its original packaging, below 30°C and away from sunlight. Keep Norgeston out of the sight and reach of children and animals.
How must Norgeston be disposed of?
If you want to dispose of your Norgeston pills, take them to your local pharmacy. Do not throw Norgeston pills in your bin or down the drain at home.
What does Norgeston look like?
Norgeston is a small, round and white pill.
In which pack sizes is Norgeston available?
Each Norgeston pack contains one blister strip of 35 pills.
Information on the manufacturer
The company that holds the marketing authorisation of Norgeston is Bayer plc, 400 South Oak Way, Reading, RG2 6AD.
Norgeston is manufactured by Bayer AG, Mullerstrasse 178, Berlin Germany or Bayer Weimar GmbH & Co KG, Weimar, Germany.
Dr Crystal Wyllie Online Doctor
Crystal qualified in Medicine at Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry in 2010. She then trained as a GP in London hospitals and practices. She has a particular interest in reproductive, sexual, and women’s health.Meet our doctors
Article created: 28 Sep 2021
Last reviewed: 28 Sep 2021
https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/1133 [Last reviewed January 2021, accessed 09/08/2021]
https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/files/pil.1133.pdf [Last reviewed January 2021, accessed 09/08/2021]
Contraceptive pills are a reliable way of reducing your risk of getting pregnant from sex. Asda Online Doctor by ZAVA offers most common brands of pill, so you can order your preferred brand by visiting our contraceptive pill service page.