Tostran gel is an easy to use testosterone replacement treatment for men with low testosterone levels.
Tostran gel is used to treat low testosterone levels in men and is made by Pharbil Waltrop GmbH.
If you’re unsure whether you have low testosterone levels, you can use a testosterone test kit to check.
Tostran gel contains testosterone, the same hormone naturally made by your body. Each pump of Tostran gel accurately measures out 10mg of testosterone, so you can be confident you’re getting the right amount every time.
There are 120 pumps in a 60g canister of Tostran gel, and you may need to use more than 1 pump per day. A doctor will prescribe the number of Tostran gel pumps you need to get your testosterone levels back to where they should be.
If you are already using Tostran gel and need a new prescription, the doctors at Asda Online Doctor may be able to help. Our questionnaire is confidential and quick to fill out online. Then one of our doctors will check if they can safely prescribe Tostran gel for you. Choose delivery to your home address or pick up your Tostran gel from a nearby Asda Pharmacy.
20 days / 60 g - £53.00
About Tostran Gel
What is Tostran gel and what is it used for?
Tostran gel is a type of testosterone replacement therapy used to increase the level of testosterone in your body. Testosterone is the main sex hormone in males.
When your body does not produce enough testosterone naturally, you might start to feel:
- anxious, irritated or depressed
- you have a low sex drive
- you cannot get or maintain an erection (erectile dysfunction)
- tired all the time
- you cannot concentrate properly
You might notice other physical changes, like loss of body hair or reduced beard growth.
A low level of testosterone is also known as hypogonadism. Low testosterone levels can be due to a problem with the testes, where testosterone is made, or a problem with the pituitary gland or hypothalamus which are the centres in the brain which controls how much testosterone is made.
To check if you have low testosterone levels, you can use a test kit at home or see a doctor.
How Tostran gel works
Tostran gel works by replacing testosterone so this is within normal levels. The gel is absorbed through the skin to give a stable blood level of testosterone through the day.
If you need to, you can use erectile dysfunction treatments alongside Tostran gel including:
- Viagra (sildenafil) tablets
- Levitra (vardenafil) tablets
- Cialis (tadalafil) tablets
- Spedra (avanafil) tablets
- Vitaros cream (alprostadil)
How to use Tostran gel
When you open a brand new Tostran gel canister, you need to press the pump 8 times and throw away any gel that comes out. Now you are ready to use Tostran gel daily.
You need to apply Tostran gel at the same time each day. Follow these steps to use Tostran gel:
- Choose between applying Tostran gel on your stomach area (abdomen) or about halfway down your inner thighs. Do not apply Tostran gel to your testicles or penis area.
- Have a shower or clean your skin with soap and water, then pat it dry.
- When you’re ready, press down on the Tostran gel pump to get the right amount of gel recommended by your doctor. Each pump gives you half a gram of gel and 10mg of testosterone.
- Rub the Tostran gel into your skin gently and wait a few minutes for it to dry. You can split the gel evenly between both of your thighs and your abdomen.
- While you have Tostran gel on your hands, do not touch any other parts of your body. Wash your hands straight away with soap and water.
- Cover the skin on your abdomen and thighs with clothes that are loose, like baggy trousers and a T-shirt.
You need to wait 2 hours to have a shower or bath after you use Tostran gel.
Tostran gel dosage
The standard starting dose is 3g of Tostran gel, which contains 60mg of testosterone. 3g or 60g of testosterone is the same as 6 pumps of Tostran gel.
You should always use the dosage recommended by your doctor, this may need to change depending on your blood test levels.
Tostran gel and skin contact
Tostran gel can transfer through skin to skin contact. This can affect the level of testosterone in the other person’s body. To avoid this, make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after you apply Tostran gel.
If you plan on having sex with your partner, wait at least 4 hours after applying Tostran gel. Then you can wash the place that you applied Tostran gel on your skin, with soap and warm water, before sex.
Your hands must not have any Tostran gel on them if you want to touch or have skin contact with a breastfeeding or pregnant woman.
If you think someone else’s skin has come into contact with Tostran gel, wash that area of skin with soap and warm water straight away.
You can use Tostran gel if you:
- are not allergic to any ingredients in Tostran gel
- do not have breast cancer or prostate cancer
- have taken a test and seen a doctor to confirm you have low levels of testosterone or hypogonadism
You should speak to a doctor before using Tostran gel if you have:
- liver or kidney problems
- heart disease such as heart failure
- high blood pressure
- sleep apnoea
- diabetes which is being treated with insulin
- a condition that affects your blood clotting or red blood cells
- benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)
- bone cancer
Before starting Tostran gel you will need to have blood tests to check your testosterone levels and other hormones. You will also need checks of your prostate gland and tests to look for reasons why your testosterone level is low. After starting treatment you need regular blood test monitoring for the first year and then at least one a year.
If you get side effects after using Tostran gel, you should speak to your doctor about them. You might need to change how much Tostran gel you use.
Side effects where you have applied Tostran gel include:
- dry skin
- red skin
- feeling itchy or hot
Common side effects of Tostran gel include:
- more body hair growth
- water retention that can make your hands or feet look swollen
- your blood pressure going up
- breasts getting bigger (gynaecomastia)
- changes to your prostate that cause it to produce more PSA
- having more red blood cells
- having more haemoglobin (to carry more oxygen in your red blood cells)
You should speak to a doctor if you:
- get erections that last a long time, especially if they are painful
- start to put on weight
- feel sick or vomit
- start to see your skin colour change
- find it difficult to breathe normally when you sleep
You can report side effects using the MHRA Yellow Card Scheme online or in the Google Play or Apple App Store.
Tostran gel and other medicines
Tostran gel can affect how other medicines work, so speak to a doctor if you are taking any of the following:
- blood thinners, also known as anticoagulants, such as aspirin, warfarin or apixaban
- corticosteroids, such as prednisolone, hydrocortisone or betamethasone
- medicines that contain testosterone or stimulate testosterone production, such as Testogel 50mg sachets
You can find more information about Tostran gel in the patient information leaflet.
Which active ingredients does Tostran gel contain?
The active ingredient in Tostran gel is testosterone. In 1 gram (2 pumps) of Tostran gel, there is 20mg of testosterone.
The other ingredients in Tostran gel are propylene glycol, ethanol (anhydrous), isopropyl alcohol, oleic acid, carbomer 1382, trolamine, butylhydroxytoluene (E321), water (purified) and hydrochloric acid.
How should Tostran gel be disposed of?
You can dispose of Tostran gel canisters safely by taking them to a nearby pharmacy. Avoid throwing away Tostran gel at home, even if you do not want to use it anymore.
How should Tostran gel be stored?
As soon as you open a Tostran gel canister, store it upright. You should keep Tostran gel at room temperature, ideally below 25°C.
What does Tostran gel look like?
Tostran gel looks like a clear, yellowish jelly. Tostran gel canisters are tall tubes that have a pump on top. You get a 10mg drop of testosterone gel every time you press down on a Tostran gel pump.
In which pack sizes is Tostran gel available?
Tostran gel is available in pack sizes of 1, 2, or 3 canisters, containing 60g each.
Information on the manufacturer
The marketing authorisation holder for Tostran gel is Kyowa Kirin Ltd, Galabank Business Park, Galashiels, TD1 1QH, UK.
Tostran gel is manufactured by Pharbil Waltrop GmbH, Im Wirrigen 25, 45731 Waltrip, Germany.
Dr Kathryn Basford
Dr Kathryn Basford is a qualified GP who works as a GP in London, as well as with ZAVA. She graduated from the University of Manchester and completed her GP training through Whipps Cross Hospital in London.Meet our doctors
Article created: 13 Oct 2021
Last reviewed: 13 Oct 2021