Spedra is an effective and reliable treatment for men with erectile dysfunction and works within 1 hour.
Spedra helps treat erectile dysfunction and is manufactured by Menarini International.
Spedra is available in 50mg, 100mg and 200mg tablets. Your doctor will prescribe Spedra starting with the dose that’s ideal for you.
Order Spedra from Asda Online Doctor today. Our questionnaire is quick and easy to fill out online. Then one of our doctors will check if Spedra is right for you. Choose delivery to your home address or collection from an Asda Pharmacy.
4 tablet(s) - £31.00
8 tablet(s) - £50.00
4 tablet(s) - £40.00
8 tablet(s) - £65.00
What is Spedra and what is it used for?
Spedra is a medicine used to treat erectile dysfunction (ED) or impotence in adult men. You can use Spedra to get and keep an erection.
Spedra contains avanafil which is a PDE5 inhibitor (phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitor).
How does Spedra work?
- Spedra works to relax the smooth muscle in the blood vessels of your penis so you get an erection.
- By using Spedra, your blood vessels stay relaxed and more blood flows into your penis.
- This blood flow helps you keep your erection.
Spedra will not work if you are not sexually aroused.
How to take Spedra
You can take Spedra 1 hour before you want to have sex. Spedra will only work if you’re sexually aroused. You should only take 1 Spedra tablet per 24 hours.
Can you take Spedra with food or drink?
You can take Spedra with or without food. Keep in mind that a heavy meal can slow down how fast Spedra will work.
You should not drink a large amount of alcohol before you take Spedra, as this can make it difficult for you to maintain an erection.[Text Wrapping Break]
If you are unable to get an erection or maintain an erection long enough with Spedra, contact your doctor.
Spedra is available in 50mg, 100mg and 200mg dosage strengths. Your doctor will prescribe you a Spedra dose to start with, depending on your medical history.
- The lowest dose of Spedra is 50mg. This might be used if you have any other medical conditions or take any medicines that cause low blood pressure.
- The standard dose for Spedra is 100mg. A doctor will prescribe 100mg if you have no medical conditions, or if you’ve tried the 50mg dose and it was not effective.
- The highest dose for Spedra is 200mg. This might be used if the standard 10mg dose does not work for you.
You might find that you lose an erection once every so often, but normally it’s nothing to worry about. If it keeps happening, you could have erectile dysfunction (ED). This means you find it difficult to get and maintain an erection, even when you’re sexually aroused.
Erectile dysfunction can occur for a variety of reasons:
- if you have a condition that affects the blood vessels in your body, like severe diabetes
- a side effect of certain medications such as antidepressants
- using recreational drugs (like ‘poppers’)
- drinking more than 14 units of alcohol per week
- lifestyle factors, such as smoking or obesity
If you think you have erectile dysfunction, speak to a doctor to discuss the best solution.
You can use 1 Spedra tablet once a day. Even if you have been prescribed the lowest dose of 50mg, taking more than you need will not make it work faster.
The maximum dose of Spedra is 200mg. If you take a dose higher than this, it will not make it more effective. You’re more likely to have side effects if you take more than 200mg of Spedra and may need to see an emergency doctor.
If you have taken more Spedra tablets than advised, contact your doctor immediately. If your erection lasts longer than 4 hours (also called priapism), call 999.
Spedra might not be appropriate for you to use, for example, if you:
- do not have erectile dysfunction
- are taking other erectile dysfunction treatment, such as Viagra (sildenafil), Levitra (vardenafil), or Cialis (tadalafil)
- are a woman
- are under 18 years old
- take nitric oxide donors or ‘poppers’
- have an allergy to any of the ingredients in Spedra
- take medicines called nitrates to treat chest pain or heart problems like angina
- take treatment for pulmonary arterial hypertension such as riociguat
- have low blood pressure or very high blood pressure
- have recently had a heart attack or a stroke
- have ever had loss of vision (also known as naion, or ‘stroke of the eye’)
- have severe heart disease
- have severe liver disease
- have severe kidney disease
You should not use Spedra without speaking to your doctor first if you have:
- sickle cell anaemia
- leukaemia (blood cancer)
- multiple myeloma (bone cancer)
- any deformity of the penis or peyronie’s disease
- a current stomach ulcer
- a bleeding disorder, such as haemophilia
- any heart problems where your heart might not be able to take extra stress
You might get side effects when you take Spedra. These side effects usually last for a short period of time. You can speak to your doctor at any time for advice on what to do.
Common side effects of Spedra include:
- facial flushing
- nasal congestion
Less common side effects of Spedra include:
- feeling sick or being sick
- sinus congestion
- difficulty breathing when you exert yourself
- a fast heart rate
- palpitations (pounding sensation in your chest)
- feeling tired or hot
- changes in vision
- back pain
You can read the patient information leaflet inside your pack of Spedra for more details.
The following are serious, but rare side effects. If you notice any of these, you or your partner should call 999 so you get medical attention urgently:
- an allergic reaction, like wheezing, difficulty breathing, swelling of the face, lips or throat
- chest pain: if this happens, do not use nitrate medications (given for angina)
- a prolonged or painful erection lasting more than 4 hours
- a sudden loss of vision
- seizures or fits
You should watch out for any dizziness or blurry vision after you take sildenafil. If you experience this, you should not drive or operate machinery.
Spedra tablets can interact with other medicines. These drug interactions affect how well Spedra works or how the other medicines work.
Speak to a healthcare professional, such as your doctor or pharmacist, if you’re taking any of the following:
- angina or chest pain treatment called nitrates, such as glyceryl trinitrate (GTN) or isosorbide mononitrate
- HIV treatment called protease inhibitors, such as ritonavir or atazanavir
- alpha-blockers for high blood pressure, such as doxazosin or alfuzosin
- epilepsy treatment, such as primidone, phenobarbital or carbamazepine
- recreational drugs that affect your blood pressure, such as ‘poppers’
- certain antibiotics, such as erythromycin
- certain antifungal medication, such as ketoconazole or fluconazole
- medication used to treat high blood pressure or arrhythmias called calcium-channel blockers, such as verapamil or diltiazem
You can take Spedra with or without food. Food should not affect how Spedra works but eating a large, oily or greasy meal may slow down how fast Spedra works.
You should avoid drinking grapefruit juice when taking Spedra as this can affect how the medication works.
You should avoid drinking alcohol in large amounts before you take Spedra, as this can make it difficult for you to maintain an erection.
Which active ingredients does it contain?
The active ingredient in Spedra tablets is avanafil (50mg, 100mg or 200mg).
The other ingredients are: mannitol, fumaric acid, hydroxypropylcellulose, hydroxypropylcellulose low substituted, calcium carbonate, magnesium stearate, and ferric oxide yellow (E172).
If you have an allergy or hypersensitivity to any of these ingredients please speak to your doctor for advice before taking Spedra.[Text Wrapping Break]
Check the patient information leaflet for the most up to date details on the ingredients of Spedra.
How should the product be disposed of?
If you want to dispose of your Spedra tablets, take them to your local pharmacy. Do not throw away your Spedra tablets in the bin or down the drain at home.
How should the medication be stored?
You should store Spedra in its original packaging, below 30°C and away from sunlight and moisture. Keep Spedra away from children or pets.
What does Spedra look like?
Spedra tablets are round and pale yellow.
In which pack sizes is Spedra available:
Spedra is available in pack sizes of 4 or 8 tablets from Asda Online Doctor.
Information on the manufacturer
The company that holds the marketing authorisation of Spedra is Menarini International Operations Luxembourg S.A, 1 Avenue de la Gare, L-1611 Luxembourg, Luxembourg.
Spedra is manufactured by Menarini - Von Heyden GmbH, Leipziger Straße 7-13, 01097 Dresden, Germany and distributed by A. Menarini Farmaceutica Internazionale S.R.L.
Dr Kathryn Basford
Dr Kathryn Basford is a qualified GP who works as a GP in London, as well as with ZAVA. She graduated from the University of Manchester and completed her GP training through Whipps Cross Hospital in London.Meet our doctors
Article created: 16 Sep 2021
Last reviewed: 16 Sep 2021
Asda Online Doctor by ZAVA offers a convenient and discreet service to help men improve their erectile dysfunction. There are a number of treatments you can consider. Continue to our erectile dysfunction service page to learn about the treatment options available.